7 spring outside to-do’s for your Salt Lake City Rental Property
I know with all the snow it might be hard to start thinking about – but it’s crucial for you to start planning for theses spring maintenance items and get them lined up before vendors are booked out for a few weeks!!
You might even know what some of these are if you did your quarterly inspection, but it’s a good time to place them on the calendar and get them started! If you are a current client of ours, and want to pre-schedule these items for next month please just give us a call or email us!
A great video for maintenance reminders here as well!
1. Gutter Cleaning and Downspouts. With strong winds, heavy snow, and debris your gutters are likely to be pretty darn full! Especially if you have pine trees nearby. This is something we recommend you do twice a year – and the beginning of spring is a perfect timing for this! Let those April showers come without worrying about water getting inside! This is the first preventative step in making sure you reduce their risk of water leaks from overflowing gutters! Crucial for spring maintenance!
2. Water Flow and Drainage. This leads to number 2 – Those April showers can come in handy – they are the best way to determine the efficiency of your water drainage. Especially if you have an underground system. This is also a great way to know if you need to have one. Having standing water near the foundation of your Salt Lake City Rental Property is a recipe for some expensive repairs down the road! Standing water near walls, and windows, and other openings can also create the dreaded mold problem! Make sure you have a professional assess your property to ensure the best recommendations!
3. Foundation. This is something that is often overlooked, but there are entire companies dedicated to just foundations, so that should tell us this is pretty important! It’s a great idea to document any cracks, or signs of shifting, or any concrete or brick deterioration. This can save you thousands in the long wrong if you get some early detection!
4. Thresholds, Entry ways, and Windows. Especially here in Utah where so many of us have window wells from basement windows – this is incredibly important to check for debris for winter, or any water that is accumulating down there from snow melting. This can be a costly mistake and flood your basement costing you thousands!! Just ask one of our staff members – they had this happen. Their sprinkler head was tilted and broken off shooting right down the window well and flooded their entire basement!! You also want to make sure that weather stripping is sealed tight to prevent critters trying to escape the last bit of snow and find a warm place before spring happens. Also check the window ports outside, and windowsills to make sure you don’t have any eroded caulking! This can also lead to higher utility bills if the cool air from the swap cooler is escaping through the windows and doors! Highly recommend for part of your spring maintenance!
5. Caulking. Similar to above, caulk can erode in places exposed to harsh weather. The front door is a big one! And sliding patio doors another. Be sure to have these checked! If you have cement siding – this can be another crucial place that caulking erodes over time, especially the sides of the property that get constant sunshine and heat exposure as well as the water!
6. Siding. Cleaning off siding helps prevent some really unwanted things growing on it, like mold and fungi. Those sides of the house that rarely get sunshine can be a breeding ground for those unwanted specimen that cause major health concerns! A good pressure washing and scrub down will not only prolong the life of your siding, but keep your tenants healthy!
7. Roof. A roof assessment is crucial, especially after a tough winter, or an extra dry summer. Both extremes can cause a change in your roof condition. Cleaning off the debris (before you clean the gutters J) that collect over the winter months can help keep those shingles in great shape. It’s just as important to check the vents, the seals, and chimney tops to make sure there are no unwanted critters or debris.
Give us a call today to get your spring maintenance scheduled!! Even if you are not a client of ours – we can connect with some incredible vendors and get you great pricing! 801-571-7400
Visit our Education Center and Video Library for more tools, resources, and tips to help you reach your rental property goals and financial freedom by investing in real estate!
Maintenance repairs Tenants vs. Owners; Who should pay?
Maintenance Secrets That Save You Money
Challenges of being a landlord: Turnover Maintenance Edition
Top 5 ways to keep maintenance expenses low
Not looking for full management services but need some help getting started with your rental properties? Contact us now for your Landlord Started kit! Help reduce your liability, legal risks, and be successful with your investments!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.